We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Gloxinia amazes our interiors with its magnificent summer bloom.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Gloxinia speciosa
Family : Gesneriaceae
Type : Perennial, houseplant
Height : 20 to 30 cm
Exposure : Partial shade
Ground : Quite rich, potting soil
Foliage : Persistent -Flowering : May to October
Planting, maintenance, watering or repotting, are all parameters that will participate in the success of your gloxinia.
It is recommended plant the tubers in early spring in a mixture of potting soil and heather soil.
- The tubers should reach almost the surface to avoid any risk of rotting.
Repotting is done in the spring, usually April.
- Replace the soil entirely with new potting soil.
Mix a potting soil for flowering plants with heather soil
Prefer a bright place, bright but without direct sun, especially during the hottest hours.
You can install it next to a saintpaulia because they are part of the same family, the growing conditions are the same.
Multiply a gloxinia:
- Division of tubers in spring.
- Or multiplication by Cuttings in summer
Maintenance of gloxinia
Relatively easy to maintain, gloxinia shouldn't be a problem for you.
Regularly remove faded flowers to encourage new buds to appear.
Indoor watering of gloxinia:
- It should bewater regularly but without excess.
Must also mist the leaves often enough to maintain a good level of humidity.
- At the end of flowering (October), gradually reduce watering until it stops completely when the leaves are dead.
Respect her wintering period by putting it in a cooler (about 10-15 °) and dark room.
- From February March, start watering again by installing your plant in a warmer (18 to 22 °) and bright room
- Since the May you can put it outside, never in direct sunlight but with good light.
Fertilizers and gloxinia:
Gloxinias have need fertilizer throughout the growing season, from March to September.
It is the assurance of having a very beautiful flowering throughout this period.
- Bring some every two weeks or soliquid fertilizer for flowering plants.
Starting in September, gradually reduce the amount of fertilizer and stop everything from October.
Gloxinia after flowering
Once the flowers have wilted, it is necessary reduce watering until the leaves are completely wilted and fallen.
Once there is more leaves, put your gloxinia in a cool, shaded place and rather dry.
The ideal temperature at rest is around 13 to 15 °.
At the end of winter, repot the tuber in new potting soil and resume regular watering.
From theappearance of the first buds, water abundantly and here is your gloxinia gone for a new flowering.
This very pretty perennial, native to Brazil, gives you generous flowering for a good part of the year.
Its maintenance is relatively easy if the rules mentioned above are respected.
Smart tip about gloxinia
Quite sensitive aphids, one method is to plant 1 or 2 cloves of garlic at the base of the plant to repel them.
- Do not hesitate to bring him a lot of light however, avoiding direct sunlight.