We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Andromeda is a shrub that stays beautiful from spring to winter with generous blooms in and flamboyant color the rest of the year.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Pieris
Family : Ericaceae
Type : Shrub
Height: 3 to 5 m
Exposure : Partial shade
Ground : Land of heather
Foliage : Persistent -Flowering: Spring
Here are the maintenance tips, from planting to eventual pruning, to have a beautiful andromeda and a beautiful flowering every year.
Planting the andromeda
Andromeda is planted in autumn: this is the best way to facilitate good rooting, but can also be planted until spring, provided it is watered well.
Purchased in a container, you can still plant it in the spring, provided you provide more regular watering at the start.
Once in the ground, put a mulch of rather mineral origin at its foot so as not to alter the acidity of the soil.
Andromeda in pot
The Japanese andromeda is a shrub that is particularly suitable for container culture.
Thanks to its low development, about 1.5 m, and its evergreen foliage, it is ideal for decorating balconies and terraces and providing interest, in winter, spring, summer and fall.
- Make sure the pot is well drilled at the bottom to avoid standing water.
- Put a drainage bed with clay balls or pebbles to facilitate the flow of water to the bottom of the pot.
- Fill the pot with heather exclusively and plant your Japanese Andromeda.
- Mulch with pine bark, it keeps humidity in summer and it protects against the cold in winter
- Water regularly from spring to autumn, as soon as the soil is dry on the surface
Maintenance of the andromeda
Easy to maintain, andromeda requires little care when properly seated.
Resistant to drought and most diseases, it is considered hardy.
- Water well the first year after planting to facilitate recovery and growth.
- Mulch the base of the tree to protect it from both winter frost and hot summer.
Size of the andromeda:
- A slight pruning after flowering keeps a compact habit and a nice shrub shape.
- Remove faded flowers if necessary for more aesthetics but above all to stimulate the appearance of new flowers.
To know about the andromeda
Also called Pieris Japonica “Forest Flame” or “forest fire”, this bright red and green shrub will bring a particularly interesting color note to your hedges or beds.
Its flowers in the form of clusters range from white to red through pink.
They will give a very decorative note to your garden from the very beginning of spring.
Smart tip about andromeda
It is recommended to water in dry weather.