Here is a delicious and original recipe for mashed peas with mint and cloud of ribot milk
Ingredients for 4 persons :
- 1 kg of peas frozen
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 1 branch of celery
- 3 strands of mint
- 20 cl of chicken broth
- 20 g butter
- 150 g of mascarpone
- 25 cl of Ribot milk
- Salt, freshly ground pepper
Mashed peas with mint and cloud of ribot milk
- Peel and chop the onion and carrot.
- Cut the celery into cubes.
- Melt the vegetables for 5 minutes in a casserole dish with the hot butter.
- Add the shelled peas and two sprigs of mint.
- Cover with broth and bring to a boil.
- Leave to cook for 15 minutes, covered.
- Reserve 4 spoonfuls of peas.
- Remove the mint, add the mascarpone and mix with the minimum amount of cooking liquid to obtain a fairly thick puree.
- Heat the mash over low heat and check the seasoning.
- Add the reserved peas.
- Froth the Ribot milk using a hand blender and place a cloud of ribot milk next to the puree.
- Serve the mashed peas decorated with mint as an accompaniment to roast lamb or pork.
Ribot milk, or fermented milk, is not only the sour drink served with pancakes from the creperie, it is also a culinary staple.
Originally, it is the liquid that flows from the churn (ribotte in Breton) when the butter is beaten. They are found in the supermarket, next to fresh milk. To the taste, it looks like plain drinking yoghurt, more liquid and creamier.
It has the smoothness of cream, the acidity of yogurt ... and lightness above all! It emulsifies, lightens and gives a tangy punch. In Indian cuisine, it replaces yogurt with panache.
Recipe: T. Debéthune, Photo: C. Herlédan